"As long as I can remember, For all my spirits days, All of my journeys have been roads home to You."

3.10.2012

(shout it out.)

If you don't know or are not yet a fan of the duo All Sons and Daughters.
You need to check them out.
We've been singing some of their stuff in church recently, and seriously love love love them.

Artsy.
Indie.
Folkie.
Delicatie (ok I just couldn't figure out another word to keep in line with the 'ie' trend).

A particular favorite is "All the Poor and Powerless". The bridge breaks it down into the most simple action,

Shout it.
Go on and scream it from the mountains.
Go on and tell it to the masses.
That He is God.

So simple right? Shout it out. Scream it from the mountains.

I have been involved in ministry as my full time job, and I have some beloved friends that are partnered internationally with purposes for Christ, some locally in their high schools, and others in places of worship on Sunday's. They are gifted at what they do.

With the thoughts of the future laying before me, and the transitional shifts taking place in what I would hope and dream for the years to come... I have often thought about how sometimes we miss the most simple, direct, and meaningful way to approach ministry. To change our environments at work, to change our churches, our friendships, our families. We get cozy and we get apathetic. I have noticed this to have been most true in my own life when I was on staff at camp, and sometimes still recognize it in beloved friends involved in ministry of the same nature for an extended amount of time. What is potentially hazardous in that place, is that we also get...

Comfortable. I'm not sure we even know when this happens. And sometimes when we are comfortable, we justify, explain, and excuse our behaviors. Our actions became motions that get us to the next place, position, goal, or desire.

Last year in the wake of some growing and stretching I felt convicted that love is a choice. And that everything that comes with that is a choice- to respond to a calling, to pursue with intention, to love much, well, and often. I began to understand how if I am to choose love when my sinful heart and selfish desires beg of me to pursue something different... that means when I actually commit actions of non-love... that too is a choice.

There has been great healing and growth in some dark and twisted areas of my heart over the past three years. Its been a longwinded but wonderfully purposed journey. I know that I am in the strongest, most honest, transparent, and porous time of my life. I am being grown, stretched, pushed and pulled by the people I work with in humbling ways, but mostly from a body of people I call my community here in Winston-Salem. Outside of these friends and times I've been asked recently where I've been. I've not visited anyone for the weekend, taken time off and away. Well. That time is approaching- as I plan and think about a small little spring break vacation at the end of April. To rest. To restore. To be before an ocean or even Mickey Mouse. To stand before myself. To reflect. To be grateful. But outside out of that time that is being purposed right now, I have no desire to go anywhere.

My life. Is here.
My heart is here.
Both in the same place.
Friends.
When was the last time I was truly able to say that?

Last Monday night Jules called. It's been awhile since we've caught up on the phone. And yet because I know that she prays, and reminds me that she is thinking of me in messages or texts, her love and friendship is never far. Jules is special. It's not that I am particularly different, or changed. But a more authentic, vulnerable, and painfully honest version of me emerges because she... is a safe place.
And has been for.
A.
Really.
Long.
Time.

I have spent the week pondering some noted and difficult things and spaces she's challenged me. But also in the encouragement to seek God's heart, and plan while determining the footing. I am thankful for the message of hope and of love.

Yet. I am most thankful.
For the spirit of celebration as she and Seth continue to be sensitive to God's calling for their lives and ministry and stepping forth in that Faith.
For the celebration that a long battled time of waiting, hurting, at times excitement and joy--all led me here. To this space and place.

She is a warrior. For God and with me.
When I get off the phone with her I am always sharpened for the adventure at hand, and I always want to pick up out of my comfortable and cozy place to be USED. To be different. To be BOLD. To spread out my arms and heart...

I want to shout it.
I want to scream it from the mountains.
I want to go on and tell the masses.
That He is God.

Thankful for a such a friend that can inspire that, and so consistently over the past 8.5 (sigh) years.

Lots of thinking going on here.
Lots of growing.
And a girl continuing to fall madly in love with her Savior, this season, time and space... and this new supporting cast of relationships. Love them. Lots.

No comments: